::Monday, June 26, 2006::

Day..irrelevant - beach no.4 next

Day 47 - Tim in Inverness

the universe acts in mysterious.....but if you look at from a different perspective, very obvious ways.

If you are travelling the right path, you will end up exactly where you are meant to be..what an exciting way to live when you have no idea where the next place will be, or where your next meal will come from. I know I will find food, I know I will be warm and dry, especially when I am hungry, hypothermic and dripping from the bone. But a lot of people don't.

Since leaving the Isle of Mull, I have now cleaned two other beaches; Kilchoan - Ardnamurchan, and a private beach on an organic farm in Ullapool. both on the west coast. But the journey between the two is where I sit back and smile.

I am now staying in a Tipi. Fully kitted out. my little temp-cone-home.

My intention was to get to The Isle of Skye (west coast) after Kilchoan, but instead I ended up in Fort William after Jims' words that there is a beach on the north east coast at Thurso covered in syringes. I took this is a good omen and thought to myself 'Time to 'don the gloves' . .

Every person you meet, every moment you open your eyes is a catalyst for further growth and direction.

Fort William to Inverness (east coast) after attempting to race aussie sibling combo Cara and Max (love ya guys!! thanks for being there when you were!) by thumb touring against their coach. Of course six hours later, tired legs and a stiff thumb...I came in dead last. I spent two nights in Inverness, enjoying the company and dancing to traditional scottish Caelidh, working for my bed and raiding the free food shelf at the hostel, before once more finding my spot to stand, thumb out-strecthed. Still with Thurso in mind.

Intentions and plans - forget them.

Within minutes, my ride arrived - heading back over to the west to Ullapool. not where I wanted to get to, but they have a beach there. So in I hopped. After much conversation on world water supplies and mountaineering, the question arose "where is the mess". Ullapool harbour is trashed, but the council won't set up a funded clean. Perfect target I felt. So I went straight to the community council contact Fergus Monroe and pitched my intention to clean his beach for free. An abrubt 'no' was the response. As it has to stay a mess for the council to do anything..ridiculous if you ask me. If someone offers, let them do it. At this point he gave me a number of someone who might be able to help me find a beach. So without hesitation, I picked up the phone and rang. Still wondering why I was in Ullapool. Lucy answered while driving, asked where I was before who I was, and ten minutes later I was in her car on our way back to her organic farm. another ten minutes and I was handed a bag of food, let into my two bedroom fully equipped cottage (45 out of about 50-odd nights in my tent, you can imagine the unfamiliar feeling of a house....all to myself), and told where my beach was. (the next day I looked in her Tipi, saw a stone circle for a fireplace and a rug for a bed and felt a little more comfortable, and moved in).

Lucy Beattie is the area contact and manager for "Beach Watch" in Scotland, a program run by the Marine Conservation Society (MCS), an organisation I had heard about and met with a few days earlier, who are very interested in the cleaning of the coastlands, the fundraiser and Frontier themselves.

Coincidence? You decide.

So now, her beach is clean, I am picking veges (probably should stick to my trash I think, I brought back weeds for our salad..), living in a Tipi, in direct contact with the people I should be, looking into Surfers Against Sewerage (SAS), and recovering from 'Rockness': a large festival/rave back at Inverness which overlooked a pristine sweeping valley of Lochness which was headed by FatBoy Slim.

After a general idea of going to the Isle of Skye...how I ended up here is far from a mystery, it is the way it is, for it is the way it is meant to be.

This sequence of events tells me that every decision that has been made in the evolution of this "great scottish stravaig" has been the right one.

Moving on to Reiffe beach a bit further north soon, will try to get to the outer hebridies..but realistically I have no idea...

There was an article in the Oban times, the local western scotland paper, about my clean of Carsaig, here is a small version as it will be too big otherwise - got your magnifying glass..??

tim out

Post a Comment

<< Home