::Monday, June 12, 2006::

Day 34 - Clean up of Carsaig

welcome back people!!

I have been out of contact for quite some time now....so this has been a long time coming.

Carsaig Beach was a lot more of a challenge than I thought it would be..the photo below does not show the beach but there was probably a reason for that. It was an absolutely layered from years and years of wash up!!

2 weeks later, I have had to call it a day here and move on. There is still so much more trash out there, but the next beach awaits me..This is the fundraiser now. The four sonsorship knockbacks I had while waiting in Edinburgh turned out to be a blessing in (how the hell to you spell disquise??). There is no way I would have had the freedom to let the adventure develop from just a simple, and well and truly over done, walk to raise funds for a cause, into a mass clean of Scotland. The beaches of the world are trashed. Fishing boats and other mariners offload so much crap and it all washes up somewhere. So I will head from beach to beach and probably wont leave the west coast. But one by one it will be.

This was my little paradise while I here. And the piles accumulated every day. I spent half the time sorting everything into recyclable and non, unknotting masses of rope and soaking up the sunshine of Scotland. If someone had said to me that it rains in Scotland after spending two weeks in hot basking rays, there is no way I would have believed them. What a gift. Pretty much all the rope I unknotted sold for the fundraiser. And all the plastic bottles will be collected by the council soon for recycling. and the non-recylables will inevitabley end up on a huge pile somewhere..damn us.

Plastic is a cancer that we have created on this planet, our home. Something has to be done urgently!! all plastic can be recycled, but only about 20% of what I collected can be done in the uk. the rest will be crushed and sent over seas to be be burnt probably. what a wasteful and polluting people we are!!

From here, I will head up to the Isle of Skye, find myself another beach, set up camp and get cleaning. It may take me two weeks or so to get there - on foot and all - but I will get there. Now I have a currency too!! Rope. Everyone needs it. Not everyone realises it. And my collection while walking has been narrowed down to plastic! damn plastic!!!! and cans. that way I can get it all.

Gash, Kevin and Brian. Three phenomenal meetings!! in three days. You three along with aaaaall the rest were such an inspiration..keeping me motivated´(and whisky'd up, lovely scottish isles brew..) when the high tide brought in another load. And showing me the human race is worth fighting for, and drinking to... Our planet is sick, people. but it will survive us. I know that. I feel that. But we wont if we keep going the way we are.

Carol and Johannes, I am sorry, but you'll have to take yourself down off that pedestal I put you up on, I'm off.

wow..there is so much more to write..you'll all just have to wait for the book I guess, I can't fit it all in here.

Hairy Coos and the Dread Lock bull, Sea Eagles and the Moutain Goats were my neighbours. The flow of appreciative people my support. And the midgies my enemies. damn those little carnavors!!! but, they are born to eat, as we all are..just I wish they didn't eat me!!!

Check out the Oban Times newspaper this Friday..you#ll see my pile..and my beard.

Quotes of the last two weeks -


- patiece has to be developed. it can not be taught. spending four days with close on a km of rope to untie is a good start.

- as said of carsaíg bay by two people - word for word . . .

If I was a religious person, this place would make me think of god.

- go aussie!!!

- and happy swedish day!

- i think i have become a pyromaniac.."master of the flame!!" no, no..we can never be master of any of the elements, they will punish us if we claim to be.


Oh yeah...Isle of Erraid - wonderful community. uplifting people.
Isle of Iona - .... everyone must go and experience it for themselves.

and a big shout out to Oban Backpackers!!!! Min ... go to Erraid!!

Post a Comment

<< Home