::Friday, May 26, 2006::

Day 18

Close Encounter with a Cow...

only got a minute, so instead of telling you about the most refreshing experience on the Isle of Iona (will save that for later) instead I will tell you about the cow.

I was running around the Isle, camera in hand continuing my series of 24mm Scotland when I came across a family of ... yes ... cows. Two calves and one Mum grazing calmly.

I decided to interrupt their meal for a few moments and test out their courage, so I lay down in the muck that was their field (mostly dried) and waited.

As I was snapping away it definately drew their attention and curiosity. Mumma cow was gradually coming closer and closer, ripping out the long grass with such force along the way, trying to look inconspicuous I guess. In the end she had come right up me to within about 30cm of the lens, steaming it up in the process and ate a circle of grass right around my whole body for about ten minutes. Perhaps showing off to the bulls watching from the other side of the fence, or teaching her calves that they are really in control. The sound of a chewing cow is deafening at close range, grunting and puffing away. And for those of you who know the 24mm lens - imagine the images!! Awesome!

today, it is absolutely pissing down with rain. keep walking.

Blogger Stuart thought ...

dude awesome can't wait to see the results

9:16 am BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home