::Tuesday, March 13, 2007::

Four countries in two days..

Have had a rather strange couple of days..Started out in Denmark on Sunday night jumping in a truck destined for somewhere in Germany..I had absolutley no concerns that by morning I would be in Belgium..hmmm..things dont quite work out how you plan sometimes..

Firstly I woke yesterday morning .. in a truck. Havnt done that before, and you can imagine it took me a few moments to realise where I was and when I had that figured the question then beckoned was - why I was ... where I was.

Another few hours down the road..which I might add was basking in a beautiful cloudless spring sky..(Ihavtn been in a car, on a road, in the sun for many many many moons..and my eyes hurt)..I was dropped out of the truck, and the only thing I knew was that I had to head to the right. No compass, so mere personal navigation based on prior teaching of which side of my body was which, was all I had.

I was in germany for the first time..near.. a town called Essen, in what is the most bizarre collection of small communities, too proud of their own small population to admit that this was one mega city made up of the cram of todays modern societies..and I was heading right. when I turned to the left things got more fun.

Two hours down the road I had arrived .... somewhere. At least it had a train station. so time to head for that elusive place - Belgium. I got a train, made the call and arranged to be picked up on the other side of the ferry after a bus from Sittard, my train stop.

Well, I didn't get picked up because I wasn't there. A two hour train ride with four changes turned into a five hour mission. Germany's trains are a bit sad to say the least. After the first hours delay, I was sitting on the platform amongst the second hour delay when I realised, for the first time in my travels that I did not know which country I was in. I arrived on a German train but was sitting looking at a Holland train. Had my German train entered Holland or this Holland train entered Germany.

This curiosity was too great, I was lost in the nether-regions of the Nederland(s) - (or was it Deutchland(s) ). I had to ask someone the strangest question they would have ever heard.

At this particular time I was reserved to finding a nice corner to spend the night as my ride was well and truly missed, and I was in a state of tranquility with little concern as to where and what I was doing. I picked a person - and of course they cackled their little way through telling me I was in the land of the Orange Tulip.

Turns out I could not have asked a better person, for upon further conversing, he was a student in Maastricht and offered a couch and a meal. So now I am fed, well slept and on my accross the border .. again. Four countries in two days, weird.


tim out

Blogger Christina F thought ...

You still sounds like you are getting by by the skin of your teeth...or how ever that saying goes! Congratulations on being able to survive for this long and still be happy and fed! Miss ya, and man I can't wait to get some travel tips from you!

8:50 am BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home