::Monday, August 14, 2006::

the nights are getting colder...

and if you're stuck, or if you choose to stick yourself, in a town 8 miles from your tent as midnight passes by...a good place to lay your head is in the cab of an abandoned truck out the back of some random garage. You can't stretch out your legs, but your limbs wont be stiff due to the freeze, only due to the cramps...

my last few weeks have been excellent!!! after a successful clean up and pick up by the council, not without a bit of resistence, at Altandhu (see piccie below or above?? thanks to Juliet) I tested fate and sold all my camera gear, not for financial gain - just a little experiment, recieved support from Gordon at JIG, edinburgh - glasgow - back to edinburgh and then out to my new beach at Machrihanish, on the Mull of Kintyre, and now I am spending the morning with a bit of admin to do in Campbeltown - location of my cab bed.

Spent the weekend with a semi local surfer who loaned me a board and I tested myself in the swell of scotland. Aussie first time surfing in Scotland - I know - weird...we walked out over the rocks to take the leap into the surf. Not only have I never been on a surf board before, but I am entering the rough seas by jumping off a four foot (doesn't sound like much, but hey..)rock judging the leap with the rolling waves. We had sat and watched the tides and picked the perfect moment for the push of high tide, but as it turns out it wasn't the perfect moment to learn how to surf. I thrusted my arms through the water trying to catch up (with my lower regions starting to ache due to the cold and lack of wetsuit) and pass the breakers to sit and contemplate how easily I would stand on my first attempt. But...I didn't take into account the sneak set that came through. It was only three waves. But it was my last three for the day. The first looked like a tsunami from water level (turns out it was only about 6 foot) but it broke right on my face and threw me through the wightwash like a ragdoll. I recovered in a daze only to look up at the next raging down on me. I didn't bother reaching for the board and just went underneath and felt the pull as the leg rope kept the board from crashing into the rocks. This time I went for the board, got on top and went to go over the third sneaker. Higher and higher it tooke me and as I reached the summit it broke and sent me flying vertically backwards and once again struggled to find up amongst the white.

This was the end of my first day as I held my head in self pity.

The next I knew what I was getting myself into and got through the breakers successfully, to catch the only wave of the day. No standing for I felt "first wave, get a feel, kneel and next go for the feet". But the next never came.

Even though the first day I got slammed and the second flopped..I will take up the offer of a loan board while I am here and go in everyday. What a way to connect to the beach. My office, playground, bedroom and kitchen!! love it!!




piccies are of semi local Jamie and our fire - beachside - and of my camp overlooking my beach..once again with the little auto digi snappy shootie thingy from canon..hmmm, digital seems to be the way, never thought those words would come out of my mouth...












will be talking soon of new inspiration for the fundraiser -

till next time

tim out.

boredom brings loneliness...but solitude brings strength

Post a Comment

<< Home