::Monday, October 30, 2006::

After 160 Days...

To the people out there who may read this..

After 180-odd Days and..can I remember?..13 or 14 beaches..15 odd miles of Scottish Coastline..and at least the same figure in tonnage of "flotsum and jetsum" removed, I can not longer bare the thought as to where all this rubbish is ending up.

I was sitting on the edge of my latest beach on the Isle of Skye munching on my packed lunch when I got to be holding an empty plastic bag in my hands. My instinctive thought was to add it to my bags of rubbish. My mind then tracked the path of this one, small, plastic bag. I followed it and the collections process from the beach, to the skip, on the truck, the miles on the road and to our acceptable and so called "responsible" waste disposal system, to finally end up in a landfill. Thats the solution. How does that make any sense? Bury it.

Let's disect that term "land" "fill". Digging a great big hole in the land and filling it with Rubbish and rubbish simply being a word to describe that which we no longer use, or want. Packaging - filling the majority of landfills today - is included in this. Madness. Why is it that the bag we buy our oats in can not be used again? Why do we consider our waste, worth wasting? a one use, disposable society is wasted. Not the actual items, it is ourselves.

If we were to create our own individual landfills in our backyards (literally - your homes) it would not be an acceptable solution, would it? Let's all go and dig a hole on our turf, land which we apparently 'own', land on which we live land on which we build our home, and fill it with rubbish. It is inconcievable really. So why not dig an even bigger hole, somehwere out of the way and fill it with everybodies rubbish, that way we dont have to deal with it and we can wipe our hands clean - literally - after taking out our bags. It is sorted. but it is not. It is wasted.

Everything and I mean everything included in the 15 tonnes removed from Scotland waters edge can be used again, and again, and again. I have said this before, I have made this rant. But still, after many months it makes no sense to me.

Our waste solution is pathetic, is it the best that an advanced society as ourselves can come up with.

It is a joke.

Post a Comment

<< Home